History of Lohr

Tourist Information
Schlossplatz 5
97816 Lohr a.Main
Tel.: +49 (0)9352/848-465
Fax: +49 (0)9352/848-8-465
tourismus@ lohr.de

Opening hours:
April - October
Mon - Fri: 9 am - 5.30 pm
Sat: 10 am - 1 pm

November - March
Mon - Fri: 10 am - 5 pm

Lohr a.Main is steeped in history. The beautiful Franconian half­-timbered houses that line the main pedestrian shopping street are not the only evidence of this.

The first documented reference to the town dates back to 1295. Older references have not been discovered to date,
although the town certainly existed as a settlement long
before that.

The Counts of Rieneck had a strong influence on the history of the region around Lohr a.Main for a period of around 500 years up to the end of the 16th century, and Lohr was their principal residence.

In 1333, Lohr was granted a town charter by Emperor Ludwig “the Bavarian”, based on the town rights of the town of Gelnhausen. The town charter lies in Lohr’s municipal archives to this day.

of Lohr am Main

You can find out more about Lohr am Main and its history here.

zum Seitenanfang